The AFL is pleased to confirm that the AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft will be held on Tuesday, 4 April.
The 'AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft' will be a one-off event in lieu of the customary AFLW Draft, allowing an age reset before this year's NAB AFLW Competition.
This follows the completion of two AFLW seasons in the 2022 calendar year, whereby the AFL has now re-aligned the AFLW Draft eligibility to be consistent with the first six seasons of the AFLW competition.
Players will complete their talent pathway activity in their 18th year (State League, National Championships, National Academy, and Draft Combine).
Clubs will not be required to add players to their lists at the draft. It is their final chance to 'supplement' their list ahead of the upcoming season.
The order of the AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft will be determined on Friday, 24 March following the conclusion of the PSP and the Sign and Trade Period.
On Friday, the AFL announced that players will be permitted to nominate for a 'national pool' for the first time, allowing draftees to be considered by all 18 clubs in the NAB AFLW Competition.
Key dates for the AFLW player movement period:
All times are in Eastern Australian Time (Melbourne/Sydney)
Wednesday 1 March at 9am
- AFLW Priority Signing Period opens
Wednesday 8 March at 2pm
- AFLW Priority Signing Period closes
Thursday 9 March
- PSP compensation determined
Friday 10 March at 12pm
- Sign and trade period commences
- Rookie signing period commences
Wednesday 15 March at 9am
- AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft nominations open
Friday 17 March at 5pm
- Final date for players on a two-year contract to accept or decline their 2023 offer (for those under a 2022/2023 two-year contract)
Monday 20 March
- Final date for clubs to offer a contract to their existing players (11am)
- Sign and trade period closes (5pm)
- Restricted Free Agency Period closes (5pm)
Tuesday 21 March at 3pm
- Delisted free agency period opens
Thursday 23 March at 4pm
- Delisted free agency period closes
Friday 24 March by 5pm
- AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft order finalised.
Tuesday 28 March by 5pm
- AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft nominations close
Thursday 30 March by 5pm
- Final date to make a player inactive before the AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft
Tuesday 4 April
- AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft